National Puppy Day! My family has always had a dog and they have always been kept indoors and been very spoiled. I just couldn’t imagine my life without a dog! My parents have Bella and Lucy, our son has Ruger and Baron, our daughter has Betty, Duke, and Hank, my husband and I have Annabelle. We lost our English Mastiff Brunson just a year ago.
Being a dog owner can benefit you in so many ways.
1. There have been several studies that prove having a dog can reduce stress, and even reduce the rate of heart disease. There is something soothing about petting your dog whether it is on your lap or sitting beside you. Or sitting on you as our English Mastiff used to do.
2. You are less likely to suffer from depression. Have you ever seen a sad dog? Me either, dogs are always happy and it is contagious.
3. You will definitely laugh more. Let’s face it, dogs are just funny! They are like us, they have their own personality. Annabelle loves baby talk, Bella has a special way of telling mom when she is hungry, Lucy has a special bark when she wants a treat.
4. You won’t be lonely. They aren’t called “Man’s best friend” for nothing. If my husband is out of town for work, I will take Annabelle to the pet store or just for a ride in the car. Some places in town will give puppy treats when we go to the drive thru. Raising Canes gives doggie treats as well as most banks.
5. You will get out of the house more often. Some dogs need exercise and some don’t. But almost all dogs like to get out and walk or ride in the car. Ruger and Baron love going to the park, Betty, Duke and Hank love playing with the neighbor dogs, Annabelle enjoys a trip to the vet, pet store or groomer. She loves going everywhere.
Most of our dogs were rescued. I encourage you to rescue one or buy one if you must. Just make sure you are prepared to take good care of them. They are loving animals but they are at the mercy of their owners. Love them and treat them well and you will never regret it.
Please share pictures! I would love to see your puppies!